It would be a big lie if I told you I wasn’t counting down the hours until Monday at 1:30 p.m. In fact, it would be a GIGANTIC lie. Can you tell that I’m a tad stressed out and overworked? Of course, things could be so much worse – I could have not gone grocery shopping and not come up with a stellar new recipe in the midst of everything. Right? Right. More on that later, though.
Today, I got my booty out of bed at 5:30 a.m. and busted through ZWOW #20. I sort of forgot how much one leg dip jumps burrrn. Good Lord! It was a welcomed surprise. I love feeling my muscles changing! This ZWOW took roughly 15 minutes to complete. I’m waiting until Monday to do the latest ZWOW. The name is enough to make me a bit
super intimidated but I’m going to conquer my fear and kick those burpees’ butts! Who’s with me?!
After the above workout, I made a mad dash for the shower and then got ready to work at the clinic, which began at 7:00 a.m. today. Thankfully, I got out early because there were no patients scheduled after 12:00 p.m. I was relieved because it gave me extra time to work on the microbiology case study and go grocery shopping. Priorities, peeps.
When I got home from the clinic, I knew going grocery shopping would be a poor decision. Hungry people + grocery shopping = too many impulse purchases. So, lunch it was!
I whipped up a batch of Curried Mock Chicken Salad and stuffed it into kale and cabbage leaves. Such a nifty and delicious lunch!
Warm Citrus-Herb Salad
Grocery shopping almost always inspires me to create a new recipe. I’m not sure what it is exactly; maybe it’s the myriad of ingredients that surround me. Or maybe it’s the kind man that shook my hand and congratulated me on having a nutritious grocery cart?
True story. We can ignore the fact that he was preparing freshly caught tilapia for dinner tonight.
Okay, back to my point. I welcome grocery store inspiration with open arms because it leads me to creating simple and delicious dishes like tonight’s dinner. This warm salad is rich in antioxidants, protein, fiber, iron, and healthy fats. If you haven’t already, I suggest you go grocery shopping! Hehe.
Warm Citrus-Herb Salad
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Ingredients (Serves 1)
- 1 cup Brussels Sprouts
- Organic, non-stick cooking spray
- 1/2 cup organic chickpeas
- 1/4 cup diced red pepper
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 1/2 tsp. grapeseed oil (olive oil also works)
- 1/2 tsp. Mrs. Dash Citrus-Herb seasoning
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 2 fresh cilantro leaves
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Spray baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray, place Brussels sprouts in the tray, and roast for 10 – 12 minutes.
- On medium heat, place grapeseed oil in a pan, followed by the chickpeas and red pepper. Stir to combine.
- Add 1/2 squeezed lemon, Mrs. Dash seasoning, garlic, and cilantro. Stir and let it sit for 3 minutes.
- Add nutritional yeast and stir.
- Turn the heat to medium-low and, once they are done cooking, at the roasted Brussels sprouts.
- Stir together and let the flavors blend for 3 -5 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy. Bon appetit!
Don’t forget that you have until TOMORROW NIGHT to enter the barre giveaway!
Question of the Day: Do you get grocery store inspiration?