I’m someone who lives by and loves her routine. I also love lists and planning. It literally gives me butterflies. Nerd alert.
When my clients go on vacation, we discuss all sorts of behavior modification strategies like packing fruit, veggies, nuts, trail mix, and bars to take with them while they’re walking about. We talk about having their waiter divide their meal in two and hold it in a doggie bag for them. Then, we talk a lot about enjoying every moment and living in a #jadorealvie mindset throughout their vacation. Because, at the end of the day, that’s what vacation is – a break from routine and a break from regimen – not food obsession.
I’m a fan of pushing myself out of my comfort zone in all aspects of life. When it came to Las Vegas, I threw routine out the window and solely lived in the moment. It rocked.
Yes, we met Omarion. Yes, he is a total sweetheart. And no, I still have no idea what any of his songs are. I’m also about 5 inches taller than him. No shame!
By the end of our stay, however, I was more-than ready for routine. Not in an obsessive way. I just missed my life back home! I also missed preparing and cooking my own meals.
Raquel mentioned that she wanted to do Tone it Up’s 5 Day Slim Down when we returned from Vegas. I thought about it for a minute and, considering all the sangria, fried falafel and potatoes, and Pop Chips I consumed, thought it would be a nice segue way back into routine and normalcy. I obviously had no intentions to lose weight or inches (I don’t need it and that’s not my goal) but I definitely wanted a cleanse from the foods I enjoyed on vacation. Key word: ENJOY! No regrets, babes. Just love.
I started the 5 Day Slim Down journey on Sunday and finished yesterday. It was a great challenge and I feel super energized! After taking a break from high intensity workouts for over 4 months (my body is slowly-but-surely responding) I decided to incorporate them back in for the past five days. Raquel and I kicked booty and it felt amazing to consistently push myself to the max. Consistent high intensity workouts are now on the back burner again; I’m going to stick to one per week for now.
Anyways, back to the #5DSD. I was a little apprehensive going into it because it is a “slim down,” typically used for those who are trying to bust through a weight loss plateau or are getting ready for an event and want to look their best. I shifted my mindset and just challenged myself to embrace the challenge and do my best. Check and check! Raquel slept over my condo and we woke up every morning to HIIT it for 20 minutes. This morning, we completed ZWOW #42 in 14:42. We were total beasts!
Karena & Katrina asked me to share some of my favorite vegan #5DSD recipes with you, so I’m here to share! Here are my top two favorites from the week.
- 4 oz. organic, extra-firm tofu, diced
- 1 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp. spicy mustard (I used Emeril’s New York Deli mustard)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. water
- Generous pinch of curry powder
- Generous pinch of garam masala
- Spray non-stick pan with organic, non-stick cooking spray (I love coconut oil spray).
- On medium heat, saute tofu for 5 minutes on each side.
- While tofu is sauteeing, combine all ingredients for the sauce together in a small bowl.
- After tofu has reached a golden-brown consistency, transfer to a plate.
- Pour sauce over and enjoy!
- 1 medium-sized apple
- 1 tsp. organic, shredded coconut
- ½ tsp. stevia
- Pumpkin pie spice
- Organic, non-stick cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Slice apple in half and remove stem.
- De-core apple by carefully slicing a small hole in the middle of each half.
- Fill hole with shredded coconut.
- Garnish apple halves with pumpkin pie spice.
- Bake apple for 20 minutes, sprinkle with stevia, and enjoy!
Regardless of whether you decide to do the #5DSD, these are still great vegan, #plantPOWER ideas to work into your meals and snacks. Tone It Up and the community are doing the #5DSD next week for their #HolidayHottie series, so you can join in next week, starting on Monday, if you’d like. Hope you enjoy!
P.S. – Don’t forget to keep emailing me your #jadorelavie4sandy submissions. Let’s help our fellow Americans who truly need it. <3